The Prestashop team has announced beta version of Prestashop 1.5 which is Prestashop 184.108.40.206 in February. This version has major changes in the Prestashop including core changes and front end and back end template changes. The core system structure is changed and is optimized for better performance. The modules API is also changed and new structure is defined for modules. Below is a list of some of the new features you will find in Prestashop 1.5 .
1) Prestashop 1.5 Admin : The admin panel of Prestashop 1.5 is completely changed and now it is more flexible. The layout is liquid type which adjusts to every screen resolution. The old rusty color scheme is changed and is now more elegant and eye catchy. The top menu of the Admin panel is now drop down menus and the navigation is much more easy than the current tabs based navigation.
Some quick links with Icons are also placed which looks great. Overall the Prestashop 1.5 new admin panel is a great addition.
2) New Front end Template : Finally the prestashop team decided to change the Front end Template. The new template is looking very nice and I like it myself also, and most people are using it already. This template is very nice and has good features like a nice looking cart block, nice buttons and also finally prestashop team realized to provide a few basic modules with system , like a good looking top menu module and a JQuery slider on home page.
3) New Modules : Prestashop was having lack of some basic modules, and are only available from third parties for free or by extra money. Now with Prestashop 1.5, some new and basic modules are provided. These modules includes Top horizontal menu which enables shop owners to add links to top menu, Home page image slider, Favorite Products, Social Module which enables you the enter your social media links and currently only have support for Facebook, Twitter and RSS Feeds, Block contact infos which enables you to display information about contacting the shop, Block contact which allows you to add extra information about customer service, Block Share on Facebook which enables the site visitors to share a product on facebook. Beside these modules there are more modules also and the old modules are improved.
There is another module which is provided with the Prestashop 1.4.x and is called Layered Navigation Module. It is a very important module and provides filters on category, search and other product listing pages to narrow down the products display by price ranges, Features and other filters which helps site visitors to easily find and select an appropriate product.
5) Multi-Shop management : The long awaited feature of Prestashop is on its in Prestashop 1.5, which provides the ability to manage multiple shops from a single Prestashop 1.5 admin panel. A tutorial will be posted later on this topic how to setup this feature and how to add new shops to your prestashop admin.
You can manage multiple shops from one single Prestashop 1.5 admin easily. You can easily manage categories, products etc. for your different shops from the single admin. So data can be only associated to a single shop like customers and some can be associated to multiple shops like product, categories carriers etc etc .
6) Place Orders directly at admin: What if a customer is not able to place an order or he/she is facing some problems or does not understand the site working ? The customer will be contacting you and provide you a list of the products and in Prestashop 1.5 admin you will be able to place an order easily just in a few clicks.
At admin you have to first select an already available customer, or add a new one, then select products and add them to cart, set shipping and invoices addresses, apply vouchers if any, select currency and language, adjust shipping options and costs and set payment options and order status and you are done. Click on create order and your order will be created for that customer.
Other Features : Beside all the above features, there are a lot more new features, like better management of prices for products and taxes, multiple suppliers per product, B2B (Buyer to Buyer) Mode, a nice and easy form for adding new products, Ajax base and nice image uploader for products,
new layout for all forms, new big buttons for the add new, save and stay etc links, easy navigation at admin, a new modules list page which makes easy to find the required module, good fonts and colors at admin which improves readability, accounting management system, multi-shipping which allows customers to send orders to multiple delivery addresses, increased security for both back office and front end and so on .
Once Final prestashop 1.5 is released, you will see all the new features in action. You can find the milestone page of Prestashop 1.5 here .
Below are some more images for Prestashop 1.5 admin.